The Oyster Variety Box will most often contain 2-4 different types of oyster mushrooms. This box is based on availability and may contain more of one item than another.
PINK OYSTER (PLEUROTUS DJAMOR)
Taste and Texture: Meaty with an umami flavor reminiscent of something from the sea. Great as a pork, chicken or steak replacement and is versatile based on your preparation.
BLUE OYSTER (PLEUROTUS OSTREATUS)
Taste and Texture: Soft chewy texture with a mild, nutty, seafood-like flavor. Hint of anise aroma. Like pink oysters, blue oysters are great as a chicken or steak replacement and have a softer bite than the pink oyster which makes it perfect for a
tender “meat” texture.
GOLDEN OYSTER (PLEUROTUS CITRINOPILEATUS)
Taste and Texture: Soft and velvety, flaky texture. Balanced, nutty flavor similar to cashews. Golden oysters are perfect for creamy sauces like garlic alfredo over crispy polenta or lightly pan roasted with butter and herbs.
ITALIAN OYSTER (PLEUROTUS PULMONARIUS)
Taste and Texture: Italian oysters are hearty and meaty with large caps with a mild, earthy flavor. Italian oysters are very similar to blue oysters but slightly heartier and milder.
BENEFITS OF SPECIALTY MUSHROOMS
Specialty Mushrooms each have a unique taste and texture. Mushroom lovers will rejoice at these culinary beauties and the mushroom adverse will think twice when they taste how different they are from the more common button and portobello mushrooms. They are versatile in taste and texture and the sky is the limit for how you can incorporate these mushrooms into any dish.
Mushrooms are a good source of:
• Protein • Fiber • Iron • Potassium • Phosphorus • Selenium
• Calcium • Folic Acid • Vitamins C, D, B1, B3, B5, B12 • Hericenones • Erinacines
Storage: To maintain the moisture content, taste and texture, specialty mushrooms should be refrigerated in breathable paper/cardboard with holes that allow for an exchange of CO2 and air.
Life: Best if used within 5 – 7 days
Important Note: Mushrooms should also be cooked which breaks down a compound called chitin and allows nutrients to be absorbed when eaten. If mushrooms are left in the refrigerator too long, they may release spores which look like a white powder. The spores are not dangerous in small amounts, but they can be a respiratory irritant for some. We recommend storing your mushrooms inside of their box from The Garden International to protect other produce from spores.